The desire to have a natural birth is on the rise. According to the CDC, about 40% of women have unmedicated births. If you’re pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant and want to try a natural birth, one of the best things you can do is educate yourself.
Here are some tips for a successful natural birth:
DOs of Natural Childbirth
- Find a supportive doctor. It’s important to be on the same page and feel comfortable with your OB.
- Take childbirth classes. They will help you feel empowered and give you techniques for natural pain management.
- Use water or other relaxation methods. Water can help ease pain as well as give you a chance to relax and make you feel lighter.
- Consider having a doula or midwife present. A professional labor coach can help keep you calm and work through the hard moments when you want to give up.
DON’TS of Natural Childbirth
- Don’t let well-intentioned friends tell you horror stories. Every birth is unique. Their birth story will not be the same as your story; it’ll only serve to make you more anxious and stressed.
- Don’t gain too much weight during pregnancy. Excessive weight gain tends to cause complications that lead to more high-risk births. Learn about healthy fruits to eat during pregnancy.
- Don’t be afraid to eat. You need energy during labor, so eating a good, high-protein meal in early labor can help sustain you through the process.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you need intervention. You can do what you can do, but sometimes things happen beyond your control and a c-section or other intervention methods are necessary.
We encourage sitting down with your doctor and discussing whether or not you’d be a good candidate for natural childbirth. If you have any questions about natural birth or easing labor pain, make an appointment today to talk with one of our experienced Florida obstetricians or midwives at All About Women.