What an amazing feeling to know that a little person is growing inside of you! A mother’s responsibility to take care of herself during pregnancy is not something to take lightly. Your choices affect your little one in so many ways. Choosing proper nutrition for you and your baby should be high on the priority list.
It’s true that women need extra calories when they are pregnant, but it should be from food rich in nutrients. Not only is eating huge extra portions of junk food at each meal bad for the baby, but it also means you will probably be needing to spend a lot of extra time at the gym when the baby is due to try to shed those excess pounds.
It’s important to be aware of what foods you should eat during pregnancy, as well as what foods you should stay away from. Here are some nutrition tips from our Gainesville obstetricians and midwives:
- Calcium from milk and grains from fiber are excellent for your baby.
- Your baby needs folic acid, which can be in vitamins, but is also found in foods such as lentils, dark green veggies and non-citrus types of fruit.
- Vitamin B-6 is vital and can be found in fish, meat, spinach, potatoes, avocados and bananas.
- Fish is an excellent source of protein for pregnant woman. However, there are certain types of fish you should avoid due to possible high methyl mercury levels. Some of these include shark, swordfish and king mackerel.
- Stay away from smoking and alcohol during your pregnancy.
- Limit caffeine and junk food. Instead of grabbing a donut, replace it with a whole wheat English muffin.
Visit our knowledge center for more information regarding healthy eating choices during pregnancy.
Here at All About Women, we care about the health of you and your baby. If you’re in need of a doctor to help you through this wonderful journey of pregnancy and beyond, contact us at our Gainesville or Lake City offices for a free consultation with one of our highly experienced women’s wellness doctors.