Most of us have experienced vaginal itching caused by a yeast or bacterial infection, or burning caused by vaginal dryness.
It’s uncomfortable—to say the least.
But before heading to the doctor, try these five natural home remedies that may work for you.
As always, if home remedies aren’t helping, see your OB/GYN. If you’re pregnant, see a doctor before trying any of these home remedies.
5 Natural Home Remedies for Vaginal Itching and Burning
- Eat Yogurt. The probiotics in yogurt can help fight yeast infections. Eating one serving of yogurt a day may decrease your risk of getting a yeast infection according to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
- Try Tea Tree Oil. Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Try adding 4-5 drops of tea tree oil to your bath. Or mix 4-5 drops of tea tree oil with 1-2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Gently rub the solution into your vaginal area.
- Use Boric Acid. Boric acid can work to treat yeast infections. Make boric acid suppositories by filling size 0 gelatin capsules with 600 mg of boric acid. Place the suppositories in your vagina every night for 7 days.
- Moisturize with Coconut or Almond Oils. Apply natural oils like coconut or almond oil to your vagina and surrounding areas to moisturize. Remember not to use these natural oils if using condoms. They can cause condoms to break.
- Eat Food with Soy. Soy contains phytoestrogens, which work like estrogen in your body to help keep your vagina moist. Studies suggest that consuming soy products may help prevent vaginal dryness.
What causes vaginal itching? To find some common causes of vaginal itching read our more in-depth article: Causes of Vaginal Itching.
If live in North Florida and are concerned about vaginal itching, dryness or burning, schedule an appointment today with one of our compassionate Gainesville and Lake City well woman care providers at All About Women.