Surf the web on gynecology and women’s health long enough and you’ll certainly come across the term Well Woman Care. Along with many gynecology physicians, we’re quite familiar with and employ the term in our office and on our website.
But what exactly is Well Woman Care? With the plethora of places it’s mentioned online, is it some sort of pharmaceutical or special product?
No – Well Woman Care is a general term that refers to everyday healthcare for women…but the term goes beyond yearly breast exams and pap smears.
Well Woman Care also provides a chance to discuss your individual health needs, ranging from nutrition, sexuality and hormones to family planning, menopausal care and more. Sessions also provide the opportunity to spot and address problems before they emerge.
While much of this primary care is delivered by a midwife, your gynecologist will spend a few minutes with you discussing any and all issues related to your unique health needs. Don’t be shy about discussing anything – these sessions provide you a great opportunity to address problems in an effective way.
According to a survey published by the National Institutes of Health, a strong majority (61%) of obstetricians-gynecologists define Well Woman Care as “…care related to overall health and primary care.” The remaining 39% of respondents in NIH’s survey say Well Woman Care is limited to reproductive issues.
Of the respondents, 97% say they examine the abdomen area and 92% examine the thyroid and neck during a Well Woman exam.
Well Woman checkups involve different things for different age groups but typically consist of the following:
- Height, weight and Body Mass Index
- Blood pressure
- Anxiety, depression and eating disorders
- Alcohol and drug use
- Dental and oral hygiene
- Pap smear
- Clinical breast exams
- Sexually-transmitted diseases
- Hormone therapy
- Annual mammography screenings
- Urinary and incontinence treatment
These are just a few examples of things you can expect at a Well Woman Care session. Again, much of this depends on your age group and your individual situation.
No matter your age, annual Well Woman exams can ensure you remain healthy throughout your life.
Gainesville gynecologists and midwives at All About Women provide this holistic care to the women of North Florida. If you’re looking for compassionate, expert care exclusively for women, call our office at 352-331-3332 (Gainesville) or 386-754-1744 (Lake City) to schedule an appointment today.